What is your favorite red varietal?

Monday, April 18, 2011

VINTJS - 2007 Red Wine ($8)




OK, I have to start by saying I have pretty high expectations for this wine. First, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I enjoy Rhone blends. And second, I very much enjoyed two other VINTJS labels I had last year (the Syrah and Malbec). This wine is bottled by Jah Wine out of Rutherford and is 70% Syrah, 29.5% Mourvedre and .5% Viognier. Pepper and spice with some heat at first taste (probably from the Syrah) followed by some earthiness and tannins (from the Mourvedre). Pepper, spice, earth, tannins - 4 things I expected. But what I didn't expect was how dry the the fruit was going to be. It was really having trouble showing itself with that first ounce in my glass. Now I'll say it right now, I'm not opposed to using a rabbit aerator to open it up a tad quicker. So after doing so and leaving it to get a bit more fresh air, cherry with a little raspberry started to peak its head out - but still light bodied. I set it down for an additional 90 minutes or so and the fruit started to emerge more and more. The spice is there throughout and the finish is short to medium. I like this wine, but I don't love this wine. I would have like to have seen the fruit show itself a bit more. But this wine still contains different levels of complexity that kept me interested. TJs has a lot of Rhone blends to try these days, so I'm not sure I'll be getting another bottle. If I do, I will give it a good hour plus of decanting. VERDICT: Get it (and let me know what you think)

No comments:

Post a Comment