What is your favorite red varietal?

Friday, April 15, 2011

Tribunal Red Wine - 2009 ($10)


OK, my wife says I'm a sucker for a good blend whenever we go wine tasting up in Napa. Don't know what it is - but when misc varieatals are blended together and end up in harmony, the world is a wonderful place. I'm not sure of the exact blend for the 09 Tribunal (I've read Syrah is the lead grape) - but I know the 2008 vintage from Sonoma was NINE (you heard me right - nine) different varietals with Zinfandel and Petite Syrah the biggest players. This wine needs time to open up! It was almost a tad bitter before I gave it a good amount of time to get some air. After opening up I was getting a good bit of blackberry, with a hint of spice, ample vanilla and plenty of oak. But the massive tannins simply overpower this wine at present time. 30 minutes later I still have the tingling on the back of my tongue. And at 15.1% alcohol, this is a big tannic wine that is nowhere near balanced. I have read reviews that the 2008 was a bit fruitier and had softer tannins. Maybe this needs a few years in the cellar to bring the fruit out and mellow the tannins - it needs it! I might just buy a second bottle and find out. But in terms of drinking the 2009 vintage right now - and I say 95% of people who a buy a TJs wine are looking for something to drink NOW - at $10 I cannot suggest this wine. VERDICT: My first and last bottle (although it might very well have potential down the road)

No comments:

Post a Comment