What is your favorite red varietal?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chariot Gypsy - 2009 Red Wine ($5)



Ah, if Trader Joes has a cult wine, I guess this would have to be it. My wife is a big fan and keeps a large stash on hand throughout the year to drink with the neighbors while the kids are playing outside and such. Zin and Cab make up about 65% of the blend, with Petite Syrah, Merlot, and Sangiovese making up the balance. A little heat at the start and then fruit, fruit, and more fruit. Jammy strawberry, cherry, plum, blackberry and every other fruit known to man I presume. A little vanilla comes through, but very little spice. Hardly any tannins to speak of and a very short finish. A very fruit forward & easy drinking red blend. And if that is your thing, go for it! When I was 21 this wine probably would have rocked my world. But my tastes have evolved into wines that can still be bought at great value, but add a little more substance. And while I will indeed enjoy a glass of the 2010 when it hits the shelves in 2012, and I know I might very well insult Chariot fans around the world (not to mention my own spouse)..... my VERDICT: My first and last bottle! (unless I'm using it to make a sangria)

No comments:

Post a Comment