What is your favorite red varietal?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rabbit Ridge Allure De Robles - 2009 Rhone ($5)




This is going to be a tough one for the simple reason that I felt the 2008 vintage of this wine might have been my favorite $4.99 TJ wine - ever! The 08 was a very good representation of a GSM Rhone blend and at $4.99 was an absolute steal! So how does the 2009 compare? Well, it is a very different wine. It is a Paso Robles blend of Syrah, Grenache and Mourvedre - as was the 2008. And while I did not take tasting notes on the 2008, I found the 2009 vintage to be much more fruit forward - with a strong taste of vanilla cherry cola, with a little spice and a little oak thrown in for good measure. I'm not finding the pepper from the Syrah too much; nor the earthiness from the Mourvedre. Tannins are light and so is the heat, and the finish is fairly short. And this was much jammier than the 2008. So what do I think? Different is the word - and that's not a bad thing. But it simply not as good as the 2008 vintage. I don't think this had near the complexity of flavors as the 08, but it is still a very drinkable wine and not bad at $4.99. I don't know if I will pick up another bottle, but I will be first in line when the 2010 hits the shelves in 2012. VERDICT: Get it (just don't expect the 2008)

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't had a chance yet, try the current 2010 offering. It's fuller and richer, with a bit of spice. And Paso got rocked this year by bad weather, so the 2011 offerings figure to be slim and overpriced.

    ReplyDelete