What is your favorite red varietal?

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Reserve De L'Estey - 2008 Medoc Bordeaux ($7)






OK, full disclosure - I have not had much luck when buying TJs Bordeaux in the past. I've found if I want a decent bottle I need to go to my local wine shop where I can generally find some bottles that have scored 90+ by Parker or
Spectator in the $15 to $25 range. At $6.99, I wasn't sure what this 55% Cabernet, 40% Merlot, and 5% Malbec bottle of vino would produce. Bottle says well structured with intense spicy and woody flavors. Here we go! I'm usually not one to talk to much about the aromas of the wine, focusing more on the taste. But I could not help but notice the strong metallic nose on the glass. And things didn't really improve when the glass hit my lips. Dry and a bit sour. I'm not getting any of that intense spice that they mentioned, and if that is what woody tastes like, no thank you. Not much in the way of tannins or heat (only 12.5 alcohol) - and that metallic smell I mentioned, I'm getting a bit of that on the finish - never a good thing. I don't know if there is much more to say. The rest of this bottle will probably be going down the drain. If you want a good Bordeaux style meritage, spend the extra dollar and get the Hogue Genesis. As for me, my search for a good TJ Bordeaux continues. VERDICT: My first and last bottle!

No comments:

Post a Comment