What is your favorite red varietal?

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Velvet Moon - 2009 Cabernet ($5)


A Trader Joes Wine Label (Trader Moon) out of California. Have no ryhme or reason why I picked this one up. Velvet Moon is one of the many "Moon" varietals sold at Trader Joes, so I said why not go with a Cab and give it a try. Plenty of dark berry fruit on the palate with some vanilla as well. And that's about it folks. Easy drinking fruit forward is what you get here, end of story. Very little spice if any; no tannins to speak of; little acidity; and at 13.5% alcohol, very little heat. Not sure what else to say. This is a very drinkable wine that goes down way too easy. And while I'd prefer it over a 2 Buck Chuck - there simply isn't a whole lot to peak my interest. It would probably make a for a good Sangria. There are simply to many other wines I'd like to try in the near future. VERDICT: My first and last bottle!

No comments:

Post a Comment