What is your favorite red varietal?

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lost Sonnet - 2007 Meritage ($10)


Cellared/bottled by Our Cellars from Healdsburg, this meritage is 58% Cab; 22% Merlot, and 20% Cab Franc. It's a wine that has been getting a lot of praise on other blogs lately so I wanted to give it a shot. Plenty of dark fruit and a little cherry, followed by a nice hit of both chocolate and vanilla. The fact that this wine has been in a bottle for 3 plus years really shows as the oak doesn't really come through all that strong. Mellow tannins and one of the shortest finishes I can ever remember. Seriously, when that last gulp goes down your throat, that's it. But hey, sure is tasty going down. Smooth, well balanced, plenty of different layers to tease the taste buds. I've read some folks who say they will cellar some bottles for a few years down the road. I'm not so sure. I kind of think this wine is at its peak and is best drank now, right now! The few years that this juice has sat in the bottle has already perfectly mellowed both the oak and tannins. So I say enjoy in 2011; not 2014. VERDICT: Get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment