What is your favorite red varietal?

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tres Pinos - 2009 Cuvee ($5)


OK, in keeing with the summer theme another under $5 selection. This one a 2009 vintage from San Luis Obispo County. Sink blend of Cabernet, Merlot, Zin and Syrah. Plenty of cherry fruit at first accompanied by a little spice. Pretty smooth going down from there. Definitely on the jammy side with the Zin making its presence. Not too high on the acidity, nor the alcohol at only 13.5%. Fairly mellow tannins and I really like the finish with a bit of vanilla/chocolate finishing on the back of my tongue. I've read some others who got a bit of a tobacco taste but I really didn't get any of that. Nothing too complex here. Very drinkable and the 4 different varietals really come out in this wine to give it some character. And for $4.99 you can do a lot worse. I'm not going to say I'll be picking up another bottle as there is still a lot of summer ahead of me with many more wines to be consumed. But I won't hesitate to pick up a bottle of the 2010 next year. VERDICT: Get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment